Monday, November 12, 2007

Traffic School: Pimp your images

If there is anything I noticed about fashion blogs are heavy use images and heavy use of images.

Are you using images to boost your readership?

First of all, since Chris from Fashion IQ posted How-To Burn Your RSS Feed, I not only have done this, but have collected every fashion blog with a RSS feed subscription on my Google Reader. It really helps to have your posts stand out if you have images....

Ok, so let's put on our trendy 'nerd' glasses and talk about Search Engine Optimization (SEO). SEO is "the process of improving the volume and quality of traffic to a web site from search engines via "natural" ("organic" or "algorithmic") search results"

In other words, make it easier to find you through Google, Yahoo, or yeah, whatever else is out there. You can give your images alternate titles or give them keywords that are search engine friendly. That way when someone types in say, 'Facehunter' in Google images they get this:
Someone has obviously done a great job of tagging all of Facehunter's images...

So how do we do that? It's actually very easy once you find out how...

This is how your code should look:
(tag)
img src="yoursite.com/images/shoe.jpg" alt=“these are the keywords I’m targeting” width=”75″ height=”100"
(tag)

If you are using blogger, the image upload tool leaves an empty tag for you to fill:
under "Edit HTML" tab, you can insert your keywords there. It's really easy. Just don't overdo it with words that don't fit into your blog, else you may be left vulnerable to spambots. Although I haven't experienced this, I have read that warning, so I'm passing it on to you.

Well, I hope this tidbit helps with your traffic!
:)

9 comments:

Modelizer said...

Great suggestion, I was thinking about that today and if there was a way to tag my photos so that they'd show up in google. No way am I going back to redo all of my posts, but the future posts will definitely include this suggestion.

Thanks!

Allie said...

Omygosh, I had no clue. Thank you thank you!

Ondo Lady said...

This is a great idea but what happens if you do not own the rights to those pictures?

WendyB said...

This is useful info!

cdb said...

Wow-excellent! I have a new website & blog and I really got into this without having a clue & have been overwhelmed with what I don't know. Just started learning about the alt tags and found your blog - this is sooo helpful. Thanks!

Allure said...

I understand, you have to do this with each pic you post, right?

jennine said...

yep!
:)
every picture needs a tag...

Karinaxoxo said...

Wow great advice! Thanks so much!

Shopalicious! said...

Thanks for the tip; I've been lazy in this respect so far!