In the beginning thinking of posts are easy, you probably had some posts lined up in your head before you even started blogging... you hit your stride, posting all the time, then it comes, or more accurately it doesn't come.
I've had times when it's difficult to think of what to post, really difficult. There is so much out there, and the focusing on a topic for a post can at times be overwhelming. Sometimes the ideas just stop. Frustration can build up perhaps because there aren't very many comments, or traffic numbers are dwindling.
Ah... the worries of a blogger.
So here are a few tips to keep the ideas posting.
- Make blogging a habit. You are more likely to keep blogging if it is part of your daily routine. Posting every day isn't necessary, but working on writing everyday will enhance your writing skills.
- Keep a notebook of ideas. It's old school, but it works.
- When in doubt, post. One of the cool things is seeing a blog evolve over time, there is no such thing as a perfect post, so don't worry and have fun.
- Write about your experience. Be honest. Maybe your having a tough time, or maybe you're having the time of your life, chances are, someone can relate, and probably needs to hear it.
- Go out and interact with the analog world. It's so much richer than the digital sphere. I like to go window shopping and to actually try on shoes and clothes as inspiration, perhaps future posts. I also like to go out and meet shop owners and designers in person, then they become part of my experience... and easier to write about.
- Hang out with your friends. Maybe what you really need is a break.
- Visit a museum, the zoo... take a class... these things help add richness to your writing. I am a huge art lover and I like to draw parallels between art and fashion, it makes for interesting posts.
- Find more blogs and comment on them. Seeing other people's perspective may free some of your own perspective.
- Chose an angle and write from it. Sure ankle boots are hot this fall... why do we care? Ooooh.... because they look so good with acid wash skinny jeans? Because my best friend bought a pair and I shamelessly copy her? My legs are my favorite part of my body?
- Read how others overcome bloggers block, Pro Blogger has a great post with 20 different ways to overcome blogger's block.